- May 24, 2021
- Posted by: Matthew Luedke
- Category: Elder Law
Elder Law covers a wide variety of legal concerns that may come about as people age, including retirement plans, incapacity planning, estate planning, end-of-life planning, health insurance benefits including both Medicare and Medicaid, or preparing for the possibility of needing long-term care. Our Spokane Elder Law attorneys help individuals deal with many legal issues that arise as we age.
Our attorneys are known throughout Washington & Idaho for their expertise in elder law and Medicaid planning concerns. We begin by listening to your specific goals and concerns to guide you through the very complex legal issues that can arise with aging and the need for long-term care.
Why Do I Need a Spokane Elder Law Attorney?
When family members get older, or an unexpected medical crisis results in a disability, income loss, or excessive medical expenses, it can threaten the financial security of your entire family.
Long-term care is almost always costly and, unfortunately, will rarely be covered under Medicare. For most families, the Medicaid program acts as a critical component of planning for long-term care costs. Medicaid eligibility rules can be pretty complex, not to mention the volume of misinformation on the internet regarding how folks can qualify for these programs.
If you’re looking for a Spokane Elder Law Attorney, we’d be happy to help you with:
- Advising your family on methods for paying long-term care costs, and if necessary, point families in the right direction on the steps required to achieve Medicaid eligibility.
- Provide insight on the best options available for protecting assets that could otherwise be exhausted while paying long-term care expenses, including the complex laws on gifted assets.
- We can guide families towards an individualized long-term care solution for a spouse or family member that takes all care models into account (including how you’ll pay for that care). That could mean anything from Aid and Attendance benefits from the VA to long-term care insurance plans or help you with withdrawals from a retirement account.
- We can assist with your Medicaid Application.
- We’ll advise you on methods for protecting property from a Medicaid lien if a spouse or parent is receiving Medicaid benefits.
- Include special needs trust provisions in Wills for married couples to protect assets.
- Help you put together sound powers of attorney and health care directives in the event of incapacity or death.
- We advise our clients on strategies for applying for Social Security benefits.
- Review continuing care retirement community agreements and caregiver contracts.
- Advise trustees and attorneys-in-fact designated in a power of attorney on how to preserve eligibility for a beneficiary’s Medicaid benefits.
Elder Law is a widely used term that describes many different legal issues that can arise as people age. These issues can include retirement planning, planning for incapacity, estate planning, end-of-life planning, and preparing for the possibility of needing long-term care. We are attorneys in Spokane who handle these types of cases.
As experienced Spokane elder law attorneys, we have years of experience working with clients to prepare for the future. From Medicaid planning to prepare for incapacity, individuals must be aware of their rights and obligations. Having so many important decisions to make at once can be overwhelming. Put our years of legal experience work for you.
Please check out this great resource from the Washington Academy of Elder Law Attorneys which describes what Elder Law attorneys can assist with: WAELA Elder Law as well as the Washington State Bar Association which offers an additional helpful website.